We recently did a whirlwind trip to the 4 corners area because Dale and Sheri were in the area with their kids. It was a great trip, timed during the kid's fall school break. First we went to Zion National Park, where we hiked the Emerald Pools trail. I don't have all the pictures, but will edit this post when I get them off the other camera. Here's a teaser of Natalie in front of one of the Three Patriarchs (Jacob, I believe).
Next we went to Bryce Canyon National Park, with its towering views of the fins and hoodoos. It was a little cooler than Zion but it sure was impressive!We then travelled to Page, stopping at the Glen Canyon Dam, which we've never done before despite crossing many many times. I loved the visitor center views and exhibits. I watched D decide to leave our group to give a tour to a small group of elderly visitors. He was very authoritative as he explained about the river floods etc. They stood laughing and occasionally correcting him. It was very cute and very funny.
After leaving Page, we made our way past the 4 corners area towards Mesa Verde, but first stopping at the 4 corners so our kids to use the restrooms. The kids liked standing in all 4 states at once. Even so, It was spartan, filthy, and cost money, so I wouldn't recommend it.
When we got to Mesa Verde, the rangers warned us that the drive to the site was on a winding, narrow, foggy road. It sure was. It was nervewracking to only see 10 feet in front of the road as it wove this way and that way, but once we got above the clouds, it was worth the drive. We visited Cliff Palace, the largest (~150 rooms) site and took the tour. Other than D asking three times the questions of everyone else in our group combined, it went well. It was astonishing to me that the quality of craftsmanship was so fine when the builders didn't even have basic tools that we would take for granted.
After a quick stay in Durango, we headed south to Albuquerque where we watched fireworks from near the Albuquerque temple and watched the balloons of the annual Balloon fiesta. We counted over 170 in the air at once. Pictures just can't do it justice like being there.
After the trip, the kids said that their favorite memories were camping in little cabins, hiking at Zion, and Mesa Verde. My favorite was seeing Dale and Sheri and co., and being with my family.










1 comment:
Wonderful post - I'm glad you still blog. Bet it will be interesting to see which memories last... Love you all, and I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!
Post a Comment